Book the Movers
You can choose to have movers pack everything, or just the breakables, or you can pack yourself. It is a good idea to obtain estimates from several different companies and ask for complete references.
If You Own Your Present Home
Arrange to have your gas, water and hydro meters read on the day you leave and forward the bill to your new address. Have the oil tank read and filled before your sale closes (unless stipulated otherwise in the offer). If the water heater or furnace is rented, arrange for a transfer of the rental agreement to the purchaser. Disconnect your telephone, cable and water softener.
If You Rent Your Present Home
Give necessary written notice to your landlord and make arrangements for the return of any money you have on deposit.
At Your New Home
Make arrangements for the gas and electric utilities, water softener, telephone and cable to be connected on the day the sale closes.
- Get change of address cards from the post office and send out well before moving day.
- Have the post office forward your mail to your new address.
- Cancel any contracted services and pre-authorized cheques.
- Inform gardening, dry cleaning, garbage pick-up, newspapers, magazines and other home services.
- Arrange for service at your new address.
- Cancel or transfer social, athletic, civic, religious or business affiliations and memberships.
- Arrange for transfer of medical, dental, prescription and optical records.
- Change the address on your driver's licence(s) effective the day of the move.
- Collect all items out for cleaning, repair or storage (e.g. dry cleaning).
- Make special arrangements for the moving of your pets.